Robert D. Goodman
Robert Goodman has focused his practice on complex commercial disputes; litigation involving medical devices, pharmaceuticals, and other allegedly defective products; and insurance matters. He has represented a wide variety of clients, including corporations, individuals, and insurers. His practice has involved class actions, consolidations, and multidistrict proceedings.
Mr. Goodman has been recognized by Chambers USA, which has observed that clients call on him “for all types of complex commercial litigation” and that Robert is an “experienced litigator” and is “held in high regard by clients who value the consistent quality of his service.” He was also recognized as a “National Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation.
Prior to coming to Stone & Magnanini, Robert was a partner at Debevoise & Plimpton and Saul Ewing Arnstein & Lehr, and also practiced at the Law Offices of Robert J. McGuirl. In addition, Robert served on the board of directors of Manhattan Legal Services.
- P: 973-218-1111
- DID: 973-218-1354
- J.D., Rutgers University School of Law, 1988
- B.A., Rutgers University, 1981
- New Jersey, 1988
- New York, 1989
- U.S. District Courts, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 2009
- Author of four chapters in the Matthew Bender four-volume treatise, New York Insurance Law, including: “Litigation, Arbitration and Settlement of Insurance Coverage Disputes,” with Harry Zirlin; “General Liability Insurance,” with Steve Vaccaro; “Insurance for Product Liabilities and Completed Operations,” with Steve Vaccaro; and “Insurance Coverage of Environmental Risks,” with Harry Zirlin
- Author of three chapters in the Matthew Bender five-volume treatise, Law of Liability Insurance, including: “General Principles of Liability Insurance,” with John C. Dockery and Matthew S. Hackell; “Formation, Termination, and Renewal of Insurance Contracts,” with Lauren E. Sypek, John C. Dockery and Matthew S. Hackell; and “Components of a Liability Insurance Policy,” with John C. Dockery and Matthew S. Hackell
- “Does the Duty to Defend Include an Obligation to Fund Counterclaims,” For the Defense (May 2017) with Valerie Pennacchio
- “Gaps in Coverage After Farmers Mutual,” The Insurance Coverage Law Bulletin (September 2014) with Miranda H. Turner