David S. Stone
Senior Managing Partner
A consummate trial attorney, David Stone has participated in cases that have led to some of the largest recoveries in history. David has extensive experience in a wide variety of high-stakes complex commercial litigation in the insurance, technology, finance, ecommerce, entertainment and healthcare sectors.
David is Harvard educated and trained by some of the world’s best lawyers. He has honed his skills as General Counsel and head of litigation for the YankeeNets sports and entertainment empire. David brings a pedigree of landmark courtroom victories representing both Plaintiffs and Defendants. His successes include:
- Former General Counsel of YankeeNets LLC and co-counsel with David Boies in lawsuit against CableVision and Madison Square Garden to recover NY Yankees TV rights and formation of the billion dollar media conglomerate, the YES Network
- Securing a $10 million patent infringement jury award against industry giant AOL
- His recent selection to argue a seminal war fraud case before the United States Supreme Court
- Virgin Islands: Representation in connection with $300 million bond issue, IRS audit and investigation and related litigations
- Former Under Secretary of the UN: Representation in the Oil for Food Scandal
- Advised various energy companies in Nigeria re: FCPA matters
Former Partner and Managing Partner of BSF New Jersey Office
- Handled numerous high-stakes litigations including representing former AIG CEO Hank Greenberg and related companies in the US and UK
- Handling healthcare and financial fraud matters with recoveries in the range of $100 million to $1 billion dollars
- Representation of various International Fortune 500 Corporations in high-stakes litigation, Municipalities and States and professional organizations in dealings with US Congress, Federal and State Agencies
- Specializations include High Stakes Complex Litigation, Intellectual Property, Financial Fraud Litigation, Conflict Resolution and Litigation pertaining to restructuring and bankruptcy proceedings
Prior to joining Stone & Magnanini, David served as the head of the New Jersey Office of Boies Schiller and Flexner between 2002 and 2008 where he was involved in numerous trials and high-stakes matters. David has participated in multiple high-profile lawsuits against AIG and its former directors and he is served as co-counsel in Starr International’s lawsuits against the U.S. Treasury and the N.Y. Federal Reserve arising out of the 2008 AIG bailout. In addition, David served as chief trial counsel and obtained a $10 million jury verdict against industry giant AOL.
Recently, David was selected to represent the U.S. Virgin Islands in a lawsuit for damages arising out of a failed tax free bond issue case as well as a major military contractor and former head of the Williams Morris Agency in complex fraud cases.
Selected Representative Clients
- Alere, Inc.
- Altria Group, Inc.
- Anite Group
- Beazley Insurance Company, Inc.
- Broadcom Corporation
- CBS Corp.
- C.V. Starr & CO.
- Delta Airlines
- Fibreglass Holdings
- Handy & Harmon
- Hillenbrand Industries, Inc.
- The New York Yankees
- Peninsula Hedge Fund
- Philip Morris USA
- Qwest Communications
- Telebrands Corporation
- Virgin Islands
- Web MD
- Westbrook Partners
- YankeeNets LLC and Yankees Entertainment & Sports Network
- P: 973-218-1111
- F: 973-218-1106
- Harvard Law School (J.D., 1984)
- Assistant to Professors Laurence Tribe and Alan Dershowitz
- Harvard College (B.A., magna cum laude, Psychology, 1979)
- John Harvard Scholarship
- Member, New York State Bar
- New Jersey, New York and Massachusetts State Bars
- American Bar Association
- Taxpayers Against Fraud
- Health Care Lawyers Association
- Trial Lawyers of America
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Second Circuit, Third Circuit and Fourth Circuit
- Federal courts in the District of New Jersey, Southern, Northern, and Eastern Districts of New York, the District of Massachusetts, and the District of Minnesota
- US Court of Federal Claims
Selected Professional Awards and Associations
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Advisory Board Taxpayers Against Fraud: Trial Lawyers Association
- Federal Enforcement Homeland Security Foundation (General Counsel)
- New Jersey Performing Arts Center (Board of Directors)
- Smart Foundation (Board of Directors)
- Yivo Institute (Board of Overseers)
- Adjunct Professor, Seton Hall Law School, 2001-2002