Stone & Magnanini LLP attorneys have significant experience litigating appeals. Whether taking an existing litigation matter to the “next level” or trying to unravel a Gordian Knot of someone else’s making, we efficiently and comprehensively evaluate the situation, and advise our clients about all of their options in appealing a court’s adverse decision, or in defending a hard-won legal victory against a challenge. In pursuing matters on appeal, we use our skills and expertise in both writing convincing, to-the-point briefs and in forcefully and eloquently communicating our client’s position to the reviewing judges.
David S. Stone, Sr. Managing Partner, and the Firm’s appellate team, have briefed and successfully argued numerous appeals at all levels of the federal and state courts including the U.S. Supreme Court and the N.J. Supreme Court, including cases involving issues of first impression. At Harvard Law School, Mr. Stone studied under and worked with two of the most prominent appellate attorneys of our time, Alan Dershowitz and Laurence Tribe. After graduating, Mr. Stone participated in Dershowitz’s winning appeal in the Claus Von Bulow case. During his legal career, Mr. Stone has worked with noted appellate attorneys David Boies and former U.S. Attorney and federal judge Herbert Stern.
Appellate matters handled by Stone & Magnanini LLP attorneys include:
- arguing and successfully obtaining a favorable verdict of the U.S. Supreme Court in a war fraud case against a major defense contractor
- winning reversal of seven counts of a summary judgment entered by the District Court of Minnesota in the Eighth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals
- winning reversal of a jury verdict in an age discrimination case in the New Jersey Supreme Court
- briefing and arguing numerous amicus curiae and merits appeals on behalf of the Hertz Corporation and, as special appellate counsel, on behalf of the Medical Society of New Jersey and the American Medical Association
- briefing and prevailing in matters in the Third Circuit for Broadcom Corp. and CBS Outdoor, Inc.
- briefing and arguing several criminal appeals in the Third Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals resulting in precedential opinions
- briefing and prevailing in a matter in the Fifth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals for a multi-national insurance company
- drafting proposed model criminal jury instructions for Third Circuit project
Reflecting the breadth and depth of our attorneys’ professional expertise, Stone & Magnanini LLP has established specialized practice groups that focus on several discrete areas of complex litigation. As appropriate to the case, the various practice groups work together, synergistically tapping the talents and experience of our attorneys. From securities litigation to health care to criminal defense, our practice groups work toward one goal: Using Litigation to Achieve Practical Business Solutions.