Stone & Magnanini LLP attorneys are experienced in a wide variety of securities-related litigation, from defending complex class actions to litigating on behalf of individual and institutional shareholders to investigating and prosecuting securities fraud. The founding partners, David Stone and Robert Magnanini, have participated in some of the most complicated and hard-fought securities cases in recent history, including securities litigation involving Maurice “Hank” Greenberg and the company he built, AIG. Stone & Magnanini’s efficient, focused and aggressive litigation strategy in securities matters stands apart from the all-too-common big-firm practice of “bill, then settle.”
Securities matters handled by Stone & Magnanini LLP attorneys include:
- Qwest Communications International: won dismissal of $9 billion civil RICO claim brought by foreign bankruptcy trustees over alleging accounting improprieties; settled over 20 opt-out suits for fraction of asserted exposure
- Tyco International: defended Tyco International in suit brought by New Jersey Division of Investment resulting in favorable settlement; in related civil action brought by dealers of ADT security products, defeated class certification in three out of three cases, and won both trials and appeal
- Maurice “Hank” Greenberg: represented Maurice “Hank” Greenberg and his companies Starr International Company (SICO) and C.V. Starr & Co. in several complex litigations and investigations in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Bermuda, including:
- Teachers’ Retirement System of Louisiana v. Greenberg: shareholder derivative action for return of commissions AIG paid to C.V. Starr
- obtaining dismissal of class action against Officers and Directors of a company that raised capital through sales pursuant to PPMs
Reflecting the breadth and depth of our attorneys’ professional expertise, Stone & Magnanini LLP has established specialized practice groups that focus on several discrete areas of complex litigation. As appropriate to the case, the various practice groups work together, synergistically tapping the talents and experience of our attorneys. From securities litigation to health care to criminal defense, our practice groups work toward one goal: Using Litigation to Achieve Practical Business Solutions.